Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Science Behind Foldit

Now first me let me say that I am not a math and science type person at all. I have always had to work harder than peers in both those subjects. It took me a while to get the concept of the game and really see what I was doing. And in all honesty, I am not sure if I completely get the objective of the game but I can clearly see the benefit in it though. However, after looking  over the website and drawing from things I previously know about protein (which isn't very much by the way), I concluded that the game is quite insightful and if used innovately can be a great asset to the student learning process. The graphics are phenomenal and even though I had no idea what I was doing, the mere look of the game with the 3D effects bright screen made me want to learn and succeed at the game to reach the amount of points needed to complete a protein strand.

There is no doubt that a teacher can use this gaming application in the science classroom. It can be implemented as a supplemental learning tool, a reward, or means to motivate learners to learn how to connect and understand the dynamics of protein as it relates to the lessons on the subject during lecture time in the classroom.

In addition, the hints and window pop ups were extremely helpful. They showed me ways to connect the strands and clear a clashings. Being able to see the points decrease and increase when moving the strand forced me to be alert as well as take notice of exactly what I was trying to accomplish. I think this application can be a helpful tool outside of the classroom too. Students can practice at home or a local public library. There is chatting tool right on the screen. So teachers could require that students chat and asks questions using this tool for bonus points or some other creative way to incorporate an incentive.

No comments:

Post a Comment