Thursday, April 25, 2013

MathLab Gamification

Case Study:
Math Teacher Uses Gamification to Help At-Risk Students Succeed

"You don't have to be good at gaming to be good at gamification."

The concept of gamification still intrigues me greatly. Just like this very class in which I am writing this blog for still amazes me. I love the pace. I love the gratification after completing a level or receiving a reward or seeing a new rank or points that have been added. I am an adult learner and if those simple things inspire and motivate me, I can only imagine the impact it can and will have on students especially at-risk students who are already struggling to achieve.

My hat is off and kuddos to this teacher and the almost seemingly perfect integration of technology in the form of gaming to her students. I especially like the concept of the avatar board. The avatar evolves with the student as they learn and "level-up". Brilliant!

Gamification takes:
Preparation
Dedication
Extensive prior planning
Adequate resources
Creativity
Motivation
"Tweaking"

Great, inspiring case study!

No comments:

Post a Comment